HONEST OPINIONS: Music Festivals: Not a Fucking Influencer Meeting

Believe it or not I have attended music festivals completely on my own. I am not saying I have never gone to a festival with friends (Every Vans Warped Tour year was amazing) but I have gone through the experience solo and trust me; it is genuinely not as terrible as it may seem. On the other hand, I can completely understand how it may make some of you feel considerably anxious; I see you, I hear you. But...this is not what this blog post will be about. However, I do deem the topic of going to concerts alone crucial; therefore, I will share my thoughts about it in a future post. I think that what I am trying  to say is that there is a clear and logical correlation between this post’s title and my experience of going to music festivals by myself. 


Canadian Indie Rock band Metric at Osheaga 2019, photo taken by me 

Whether I want to admit it or not, the experience of attending music festivals alone pushes me to observe people around me way more like waaaaaayyy more. Based on my observations from the last few years during which I had the honor of attending Osheaga; a multi genre 3-day music festival in Montreal (Canada), I came to a pathetic and laughable conclusion; a lot of attendees do not really give a fuck about the music. The fashion; oh how important it is to look good af and take countless selfies. I look at those people and think: are you here just for the sake of it, just for the sake of your meaningless Instagram account? Do you even know what the worst part about all of this is? I realized that you do not even need to attend the festival in person to come to the same ridiculous conclusion; just take a few minutes to explore and be disappointed by the Osheaga tag on Instagram. Is it just me or are there more selfies of Becky and Jake (whoever those fuckers may be loooool) than videos and pictures of bands and artists? Oh okay, so you did see it too; good to know I am not a total crazy bitch. Well, I am most likely a little cuckoo but definitely not because of that specific matter. Move, Becky! I am here to scream my lungs out to some of Jimmy Eat World’s most memorable songs. Look, I am not saying it will happen but I still consider it an incredibly bitter possibility; what if music festivals eventually disappear or evolve into events that have absolutely nothing to do with music? Honestly, I would be sad but not surprised in the least; just think about what happened to channels like MTV, MusiquePlus, and MuchMusic; where the fuck did the music related content go? It has been non-existent for years now. I don’t know; maybe I am simply complaining for nothing or maybe, I am making some sort of point. 


I guess what I am trying to express here is my undying, unconditional love for live music; I don’t want music festivals to dissolve because of a certain number of uninteresting and uninterested Internet personalities (no, I won’t use the word influencer; it is in the title and it is way more than enough). So, if you are an Internet (wannabe) celebrity, please remember to actually go check out bands and artists that you know or do not even know. Trust me, live music is significantly more powerful than your (I guess) pretty face getting likes.


Ps: I am entirely aware that I have not mentioned Coachella. For those who do not know; Coachella is essentially the same type of event as Osheaga, only bigger and supposedly better (not entirely sure about that). If you are interested in cringing, laughing, crying or getting depressed then, I recommend you watch one or two videos entitledWho Paid for Your Coachella Ticket? Those videos will certainly help you understand my point of view despite the fact that they are not specifically about Osheaga. 


Ps: I want to apologize if this post seems negative especially compared to the last one. I promise you the next post will be a more positive one. THANK YOU FOR BEING HERE!


Ariane









Comments

  1. Soo true. And the fact that music festivals are kind of expensive makes me wonder if a couple of likes on a picture is worth all the money. But still, if you wanna do this shit let ME enjoy the music :D

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts