MUSICAL DISCOVERIES: Sigrid: Her Talent Hit me Like a Sucker Punch! (pun very much intended, summer 2019)

Genre: (amazingly solid) Pop

I do not want to make this weird or anything but let me warn you; this will get very specific very quickly. What am I saying? Ain’t nothing wrong with being overly specific, right? Alright, you are probably wondering why this intro is so long, is she trying to be funny? I am just here to find out about this supposedly amazing Sigrid person. Well, to be honest, yes, I am trying way too hard to seem funny and yes, Sigrid is fucking (note: I swear a lot for no valid reason) amazing.

Sigrid performing at the Corona Theater Montreal in September 2019, photo taken by me

It is Sunday August 4, 2019, 3:55 in the afternoon and I am standing in the first row of the “Scène de la Montagne” stage at Osheaga (famous music festival in Montreal) and to be completely honest, I am a little hot and tired. However, I am satisfied as I have experienced a simple yet beautiful performance by the endearing and relatable American Acoustic Pop singer Alec Benjamin. I had decided to stay at this stage to get the opportunity to be first row for Normani and Metric. While patiently waiting for Normani’s set, a singer named Sigrid is performing on the “Scène de la Rivière” stage which is right next to the “Scène de la Montagne” stage. I did not exactly choose to pay attention to Sigrid; she gave me no choice. I quickly realized how talented she truly is; infectious solid pop songs, a strong clear voice and an energy, enthusiasm and passion that could not keep me from smiling despite having no previous knowledge or connection to her music. One track particularly caught my ear; yes, it was a pop song but it was unlike anything I have been hearing on the radio over the last few years. A few days after the festival, I remember browsing through Sigrid’s songs on YouTube and being easily able to recognized the song I fucking vibed with. It turned out to be a song called “Strangers”. 


In the following days, I kept coming back to that song but also to other tracks of hers and decided to buy her debut album entitled “Sucker Punch”. As if it was not enough, Sigrid is not only a gifted singer; she also seems like the type of person you would genuinely love to become friends with. She really appears to be a simple, kind, funny, and outgoing human being. I hate to be that type of fan (actually, no, I am quite proud of it) but I have the most difficult time separating the band or artist’s personality from their art. I cannot guarantee you that Sigrid’s music will have the same effect on you as it did and still does on me but personally, her songs simply make me happy. Her music is the kind of music you put on after a shitty day, a fight with a friend or a breakup. No, you do not have to be heartbroken or angry to listen to incredible pop melodies; you can also just be wanting to have a fucking dance off on your own in your living room. For example, songs like “Sucker Punch”, “Don’t Feel Like Crying”, and “Strangers” (here we go with that song again) are absolute bangers that will inevitably make you dance no matter how terrible or unbelievably bad you are at moving that sexy body of yours. On the other hand, if you feel like relaxing with a cup of coffee/tea or going through a box of Kleenex, then songs like “In Vain”, and “Dynamite” are perfect for emo you. All in all, I firmly believe that you should give Sigrid’s music a fair chance.


Ps; yes, I got to see Sigrid in concert and yes, I got to meet her. However, you will have to come back later as the information surrounding this happy event will be revealed in a future post.

Ps: I forget to mention a fucking cool piece of information; Sigrid is from Ålesund, Norway. She cannot help but mention her hometown in almost every interview which is honestly the most heartwarming thing ever if you ask me.


Stream Sigrid’s debut album “Sucker Punch” on Spotify, YouTube, and Apple Music

...or even buy it...HOLY MOLY


           Ariane 








Comments

  1. So happy to be your first comment 😄 I couldn't stop myself from smiling. Because of you i just wanna listen to Sigrid again 😂
    -Saloon 💛

    ReplyDelete
  2. Quel bel accomplissement longtemps travaillé par sa créatrice et quelle agréable façon d'être informée par une experte!

    ReplyDelete
  3. AHHHH THIS IS LOVELY, brb gotta go listen to Sigrid for thw 1st time✌✌✌

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts