LISTS: 10 of my Favourite Music Videos of All Time

LISTS: Every entry consists of a list of ten songs or music videos with a common theme. The order in which the songs or music videos are presented is completely unplanned. In other words, this is not any sort of countdown. THANK YOU FOR BEING HERE!

What can I say? I was the kid who would religiously watch music videos on television. I am now an adult who misses the days when MTV showed music videos or any music related content. Here are 10 of my favourite music videos of all time:


Waiting-Green Day (Warning, 2000)

Have you ever watched a music video and thought to yourself: “damn, I would absolutely love to be in it.” In “Waiting”, we can see the band playing at a house party; something that could only be qualified as a literal dream for fans of a band as legendary as Green Day. About 10 to 15 seconds into the video, we can see people rushing to get in by the front door of the house as if it was an actual music venue and it was war time (concert attendees, you know exactly what I mean) to find out who will get to be front row. Imagine if this video was your reality for one night. Just imagine being at a house party where one of the greatest bands of all time is playing; no need to endure shitty music. You are safe from having to hear ridiculous remixes of already horrible songs. In other words, you are at somebody's house; a friend, an ex, a friend of a friend, a colleague (honestly, who the fuck cares?) and you get to party with Green Day. I do not know about you but I would totally want to attend a Green Day show elsewhere than at an enormous arena. Moreover, I do not exactly know why but I find the shots of Billie Joe singing in the stairwell to be incredibly iconic. I would not be able to write about “Waiting” without mentioning the face Billie Joe makes at the very end of the video. All I will say is watch the video till the end and try not to laugh or at least smile. You know how people have what they call their “comfort movie”, well, “Waiting” is my “comfort music video”. Oh and how can I forget to specify that Tre Cool, the drummer is literally wearing a Green Day shirt. 


In too Deep-Sum 41 (All Filler No Killer, 2001)
SUMMER VIBES. BUFFOONERY. SPIKY HAIR. What else do I need? I personally cannot help but laugh like an idiot whenever I watch this music video. The members of Sum 41 compete with jocks in a diving competition during which judges provide them with a score on a scale of 1 to 10. I have always enjoyed stories where underdogs miraculously win. Furthermore, I always find it badass when bands play in empty pools; it just looks so goddamn cool, okay? Sorry (not necessarily sorry) for the terms I used in the previous sentence, I simply could not find better words to express how I feel about seeing (punk) bands perform in empty swimming pools. 
   

Sad Forever-Lauv (How I am Feeling, 2020)
I shamefully forgot to include this song in my previous blog post: Songs that Have the Power to Make me Cry. I vividly recall the moment I first saw this touching music video; I was simultaneously hearing the song for the first time. As an emo kid at heart, I do enjoy crying a little bit too much; that is probably the reason why I adore this video. “Sad Forever'' is not visually spectacular but it simply does not need to be. The video was shot at one of Lauv’s shows in Manila at the Smart Araneta Coliseum on May 20, 2019. Lauv finished composing the song during his flight on the way to this particular show. He decided to perform the song for the very first time during this specific concert. The manner in which Lauv allows himself to open up about his mental health is the real highlight here. As we watch Lauv perform, captions about the evolution of his mental health appear on the screen enabling us to understand what is going on in his head and in his heart. I also appreciate how we can see/feel that fans are aware of how truly special this performance/moment is. The instant where we see Lauv hugging a fan always makes me emotional.


Always Be-Jimmy Eat World (Chase This Light, 2007)
MUSIC AND MUSEUMS; TWO OF MY FAVOURITE THINGS IN THE WORLD COMBINED IN ONE ADORABLE MUSIC VIDEO.  (No matter how old you are right now) Picture yourself being on a school field trip at a science museum with the girl or boy you really like. Imagine finding way to sneakily leave the group to go explore forbidden/closed rooms of the museum with that crush of yours.  That is exactly the story we get to see in the "Always Be" music video. Watching "Always Be" makes me want to fall  in love (again).  


Hell-Tegan & Sara (Sainthood, 2009)
This is the video that sparked my everlasting love for canadian twins Tegan and Sara. I remember quite well seeing “Hell” on “MusiquePlus” and being inexplicably fascinated by it. Despite not being the most important component of the video, I have to admit that I do appreciate the use of vintage objects. What can I say? They just look so fucking cool (Once again, I am sorry. I apparently could not find a better word). For example, we can see Sara watching an origami tutorial on a television from what seems to be 60s or the 70s. Furthermore, I have always found it intriguing how Tegan and Sara are seen in two separate hotel rooms both pulling on their end of a rope. Are they both battling similar demons? Are they fighting each other? I consider this music video to be the perfect combination of funny, strange, and mysterious.


Sincerity is Scary-The 1975 (A Brief Inquiry Into Online Relationships, 2018)
Watching “Sincerity is Scary” is literal bliss. I describe the viewing experience as a “4-minute escape from the tragic world we live in”. Just like other music videos featured on this list, specific details transform this good video into a memorable one. For instance, the address of the apartment where lead singer Matty Healy wakes up and comes out from is literally 1975. I consider this video a much needed reminder that beauty and happiness still in fact exist despite how dark and cold life can get. I particularly love the moment when Healy walks down the street and picks a flower from a bouquet a man is holding in order to give it to an elderly woman. I also appreciate the part when Matty saves his bandmate Ross Macdonald from getting killed by a falling piano. A nod to Michael Jackson and another one to Mary Poppins definitely brought a smile to my face. I could certainly write more sentences about all of the moments I adore but I prefer you give this music video a watch and discover all of the beauty for yourself.


Try Honesty-Billy Talent (Billy Talent, 2003)
Nostalgia? Yes, I do feel very nostalgic when watching “Try Honesty”. Viewing this video takes me back to the days when I would religiously watch MuchMusic for pretty much any music related content. There is something considerably eerie about this music video. I honestly do not know what is more disturbing; the overall appearance of the location where it was shot or considerably creepy details such as a seemingly inanimate doll that suddenly opens her eyes. Does it sound like a horror movie to you? It certainly feels like one to me and it is fucking awesome! I deem crucial to mention that “Try Honesty” was filmed at a deserted psychiatric hospital in Ontario. There is something about abandoned buildings that both scare me and fascinate me all at once. This is exactly what I love about this music video; it simultaneously terrifies and captivates me. “Try Honesty” requires people to pay attention during the whole running time of the video.


Need Someone-Courage My Love (Synesthesia, 2017)
I am a firm believer that music videos do not be spectacular in order to be appreciated. In my opinion, “Need Someone” is the perfect example of simple yet superb. The video shows all three band members experiencing real emotions. I admire that nothing about this music video feels fabricated. This type of video is a touching reminder that even band members are human beings after all. I admire how Mercedes, Phoenix, and Brandon manage to make me shed tears, dance, smile, and laugh in such a short amount of time. What can I say? Watching this video is the equivalent of attending emo night except it lasts 3 minutes and a half instead of 3 hours. Trust me when I affirm that I am here for every single second of it.


Dance, Dance-Fall Out Boy (From Under the Cork Tree, 2005)
I recall that seeing this music video on TV would put me in the best mood as a kid. The part where bassist Pete Wentz reenacts the "Thriller" choreography will forever be iconic to me and every (former) emo kid out there. Just like the "In too Deep" video, "Dance, Dance" contains its fair share of hilarious moments. For instance, watching lead singer Patrick Stump trying to ask girls to dance with him is both painful and amusing.  Wait, did I forget to mention all of the action happens at a homecoming dance? Did I fail to specify that the members of FOB play the role of the unpopular students? Did you already know or guess that Fall Out Boy also plays the role of themselves in real-life as they are the band seen performing on stage in that (possibly old and stinky high school gym)? Do I need to say more? 
  

Up we Go-Lights (Little Machines, 2014)
Hilarious and clever are the first terms that come to mind when thinking about this video. I genuinely admire every person who was involved in the process of creating and filming this music video; “Up we Go” was shot in a single take. I am the type of person who laughs at everything and anything; thus, I would have not been able to play any kind of role in putting together this ridiculously awesome video. I mean come on, the song is called “Up we Go” and the action literally takes place in an elevator. Watching this music video is both amusing and challenging as it makes us question whom and what should we pay attention to? Lights is seen in every shot of the video but is almost never alone in the frame. For instance, two wrestlers enter the elevator and start “fighting” right behind the beloved Canadian singer. Moreover, as a long-time Lights fan, seeing her musicians enter the elevator every time the chorus kicks in warms my heart.



I hope this entry has made you discover or rediscover music videos that you will want to watch over and over again whether it is because they fascinate you or make you feel something. Once again, thank you so so much for taking to time to read my words. 

       
        Ariane <3










Comments

  1. By reading this post, I realised that some of the videos of the songs i know and love, i've never even seen like Always be and Waiting. You also made me rediscover videos i enjoy but forgot about like In to deep, Need someone and Up we go. BUT the entry I apreciated the most was Sad forever... I've never saw the video or even heard of Lauv before AND I LOVE IT. Thank you for that :)!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts