LISTS: 10 Bands I Wish Were Still Together

LISTS: Every entry consists of a list of ten songs, music videos, albums, artists or bands with a common theme. The order in which the songs, music videos, albums, artists or bands are presented is completely unplanned. In other words, this is not any sort of countdown. THANK YOU FOR BEING HERE!

Several bands highlighted in this list were there for me during pivotal moments of my life. I sincerely wish I had discovered some of these bands earlier in their career. I also wish I had paid more attention to a few of these bands while they were still together. I hope this entry enables you to reminisce over positive memories you have in relation to bands who sadly are not together anymore whether they are part of this list or not. As usual, I also hope this post provides you with an opportunity to discover bands you have never heard of before despite the fact they no longer put new music out.

We Still Dream

Late night; giving my attention to bands whose existence was completely unknown to me. I watch numerous music videos one after the other because I simply do not want to go bed despite the fact that tiredness starts kicking in. One song in particular catches my ear and instantly makes me want to learn all of the words so I can passionately sing along. The song is "So Much Worse" by a Pop Punk band called We Still Dream. Over the next few days, I go on an online hunt seaching for information, interviews, and live performances of this awesome band I just stumbled upon. I sadly only find very few videos. I also learn that WSD had already parted ways a few years before I ever listened to their music. WSD is the type of band I would have loved to see perform at a small, stinky yet legendary (at least to me) venue on a Tuesday night when I have to go to university or work early the very next morning. This American Pop Punk band is the definition of underrated; their fanbase should have been much larger. We Still Dream has composed some of the biggest, most anthemic, and relatable choruses I have heard in my life. "I tried to count my blessings But my head just killed the best things Tell me how to make it all just dissipate." (Monk, 2013) 


The song/music video which sparked my love for WSD


Fifth Harmony

I do not care for a single second if you cringed when you noticed that Fifth Harmony was part of this list. I am not here to prove that 5H was the best girl group or not. I did start listening to their music at a very odd time; "Worth it" (one of my least favourite songs) was completely dominating the charts. Already knowing other tracks such as "Miss Movin On", I decided to give Fifth Harmony's music a fair chance. What can I say? I genuinely got emotionally attached to the girls and cared about them as human beings. Tunes like "Sledgehammer" and "Write on Me" will forever plaster a smile on my face. At this point, it is no secret that members of 5H have been neglected and mistreated by their management; therefore, part of me feels relieved that the girls are no longer working together. However, it is painfully obvious that label related issues still persist to this day despite the fact that the girls do not release music under Syco anymore (but that is a topic for another entry). Despite everything, I honestly do miss having new content to enjoy from them whether it is music, interviews, live performances or any adorable and hilarious videos. I just wish I had seen them in concert before Normani, Dinah, Ally, Lauren, and Camila went their seperate ways.    

Favourite 5H music video 


Hey Monday 

Hey Monday is a band that should/could have been way more recognized than they actually were. HM did not reinvent the wheel but what they did, they did it so damn well. Their songs will always feel nostalgic to me; they will forever remind me of the good times I had as a teenager who was falling madly in love with music. Hey Monday's tunes will always remind me of fond memories such as going to see them opening for Fall Out Boy along with Cobra Starship (a band I should have included here....part 2, maybe?), All Time Low, and Metro Station with my mom. What a lineup that was for 15-year old emo me! I have luckily seen HM one more time following that show and have met lead singer Cassadee Pope who was certainly one of my idols at the time. Fun fact: I discovered Hey Monday's music because of a YouTube comment saying that HM was just like Paramore. No, Hey Monday is nothing like Paramore besides the fact that both bands have female lead singers. However, I am thankful for this overly annoying comment as it made me discover a fantastic Pop Rock band. 

This song does not get old.


Crystalyne 

Crystalyne has never explicitly stated they were not a band anymore. However, the Canadian quartet has not released any new music or proper original content in over 4 years. Ever since the release of the "Follow" EP, listeners have been waiting for new tunes or at least some kind of sign that new music was in the making. After a certain while, I came to the conclusion that we may never get the chance to hear any other new tracks from Crystalyne. I honestly wish someone in the band would address the situation instead of having fans keep on wondering and hoping for new material. Crystalyne has produced some of the most well crafted Pop Rock songs I have ever had the opportunity to hear. I appreciate how their  tunes have the power to reflect various emotions I can possibly experience. For instance, "6 in the Morning" never fails to bring a smile to my face. On the other hand, I can surely  to more emotional songs such as "Air I Breathe". Furthermore, Marissa,  Josh, Justin, and Scotty are some of most genuine and kind musicians I have ever had the pleasure of meeting. When it comes to Crystalyne, I absolutely have no regrets as I had the opportunity to see them perform 3 times.  

Listening to this and smiling like the biggest idiot


Bitter Kids

Bitter Kids has sadly only released one EP. The band had the ability to write extremely catchy choruses and heartfelt lyrics while brilliantly integrating heavy elements into every single one of their songs. In other words, their tracks sounded like Pop Punk and Metalcore got married; a combination numerous music listeners would have without a doubt appreciated if more people were aware of the band's existence. I truly believe Bitter Kids had the potential to become a staple in the Emo/Metalcore/Pop Punk scene. I could have totally pictured both younger and older Emo Night attendees singing their hearts outs to Bitter Kids' tunes. At least, I was able to catch their show the very last time they came to Montreal.   

My favourite BK track 


Hollerado 

Believe it or not, I had the opportunity to see Hollerado more than once unlike some of the bands featured on this list. The very first time I saw Hollerado was in 2013 at the Bell Centre. The band was opening for the Canadian Rock music pioneers Billy Talent. Hollerado is the type of act you instantly vibe with; their infectious energy, catchy melodies, and genuine passion will undoubtedly draw you in. It is remotely impossible not to have fun when the band is clearly having the time of their lives no matter how huge or small the crowd may be. I only knew 2 tracks before attending the gig; however, my limited knowledge of their music did not prevent me from having pure fun. That short set alone was more than enough for me to start caring about this band. I do not quite know how to explain it but Hollerado's songs feel like instant classics; music you'll come back to years and years from now. I had the chance to see Hollerado perform once more at Osheaga in 2014 on the smallest stage of the festival. Once again, something about the performance simply felt special to me. I wish I could come up with actual reasons as to why I neglected their music following the Osheaga show but I cannot. Despite enjoying both shows I attended and buying their 2013 album "White Paint", I did not listen to their music as nearly enough as I should have. I luckily caught their last Montreal show ever in September 2019; a night I will forever cherish. I even had a lovely chat with lead singer Menno Versteeg.  

A song I hold close to my heart


Brighter Brightest

I am completely aware of how cliché this statement will sound but it is the absolute truth; their album "Right for Me" was the soundtrack of my life during my last year of high school. Their honest, relatable lyrics made me realize that those new feelings I was experiencing were certainly real and valid. Their tracks from that specific full length have enabled me to view a possibly terrifying situation in a positive light; a valuable self-exploration journey. The title track remains to this day one of my favourite songs of all time. I am not going to lie, it does feel slightly bitter to think about the fact that I did not have the chance to scream my lungs out to their music outside of my bedroom. Thank you to this talented Canadian Pop Rock for being a source of comfort when I needed it. 

One of my comfort songs


The Summer Set

There are so many aspects of this band I used to appreciate and still do to this day. I have vivid memories attached to The Summer Set's music. For instance, I recall watching the music video for their song "Maybe Tonight before attending a specific class in cegep (college in the province of Quebec). The course itself was not horrible but the teacher was the type of person who had the power to make me feel completely worthless. "Maybe Tonight" had the ability to make 18-19-year old me feel alive and safe before heading into something I considered dreadful. I also remember seeing their music video for "The Boys You Do" on MuchMusic back in 2010 and thinking they were so fucking cool for having a female drummer: a role which seemed to be filled by men and men only at the time. Silly 14-year old me was very impressed. If it was not for the 2014 edition of the Vans Warped Tour, I would have never seen TSS perform. 

                                                    I love that song/video with my whole heart.


Dollhouse Riot 

About 6 to 7 years ago, I saw a group of girls looking extremely badass waiting to take the stage at the Underworld; a small venue in Montreal. I do not know why and I honestly hate admitting it but I completely underestimated them. I was not convinced that their sound and/or quality of their performance would match the awesomeness of all their individual styles. Within the first two minutes of their set, the girls of DHR proved me so damn wrong. I strongly remember asking my two friends: "is it just me or are they fucking good?" That particular performance taught me not underestimate any female performers. It is unfortunate that the thought even crossed my mind. DHR solely put out a handful of songs . However, it has been a blissful journey to watch each of the members come into their own after the split; both on a musical and personal level. I had the chance to see DHR on 3 separate occasions and by the third time it felt like my friend Kassandra and I were friends with the band. 

Simply badass.


There for Tomorrow  

Putting this list together has made me realize how so many of these bands were underrated no matter how long or short their career was. There for Tomorrow is another perfect example of a band which deserved far more success. TFT was the kind of act who had the capacity to highlight every member's strengths. For instance, the track "Hunt Hunt Hunt" off their second album "The Verge" (2011) stands out with its memorable bass line which provided Jay Enriquez with a proper chance to shine. I also consider Maika Maile's vocals to be some of the most distinctive of the Pop Punk/Emo/Warped Tour scene. "Backbone" from their first full length "A Little Faster" (2011) features an opening guitar riff  which I deem to be a true highlight from that specific album. That particular track showcases guitarist Christian Climer's undeniable talent. Drummer Chris Kamrada constantly offered solid, energetic performances behind the kit. There for Tomorrow was an immensely skilled band who possessed tremendous musicianship. I would have welcomed with an open heart, mind and ear much more music from TFT. I highly value the only perfomance I got to see in person back in the summer of 2011 at the Vans Warped Tour.  

The song that every TFT fan knows and loves.

 
Writing and editing this entry has decidely made me feel nostalgic and somewhat sad. Thankfully, music lives on forever. Thank you for taking the time <3


Your favourite former emo kid/current emo (wannabe) adult,

Ariane 













Comments

  1. Daammm!! I remember dollhouse riot they were so tham good. The last time we saw them was the worst venue (omg the bathroom) but the show was the best and i will remember it for ever. Love this article because it made me so nostalgic and made me discover band even if they won't produce new music.
    PS - I can't beleve that you mention my name <3 love you

    ReplyDelete
  2. Daammm!! I remember dollhouse riot they were so tham good. The last time we saw them was the worst venue (omg the bathroom) but the show was the best and i will remember it for ever. Love this article because it made me so nostalgic and made me discover band even if they won't produce new music.
    PS - I can't beleve that you mention my name <3 love you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. awwww thank you. lol you were so happy you posted your comment twice!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts