MUSICAL DISCOVERIES: CONAN GRAY: THE GENDER BENDING SUPERSTAR

MUSICAL DISCOVERIES: In this series, I will share my impressive, unexpected, and breathtaking musical discoveries. In every post, I will describe how I came across the bands' and artists' amazing music. I will also explain the reasons which make me firmly believe that you should give the band's or artist's music a try. Finally, I will provide you with songs recommendations. From Pop to Punk, you will definitely be able to find something for your ears, mind, and heart to fall in love with. 

Imagine being able to write good songs. Now, imagine being talented enough to write fucking great songs. Sounds like a recipe for true success, doesn't it? Between you and I, we both know that oftentimes, sharing with the world the most memorable tracks is not exactly enough for an individual or band to reach stardom. As shallow as it may seem, the image of an artist is as crucial as the music itself. Image isn't simply what the artist wears, it's the way they express themselves on and off stage; their whole essence. Take a minute and think about either your favorite vocalist(s) or band(s), do they possess remarkable talent, undeniable charisma, or a perfect equilibrium of both of these precious qualities? Picture this; a singer performing their track; the chorus is flawless, the bridge is unlike anything your ears have ever heard before but that performance...lackluster, lifeless. The vocalist looks any average Joe you would run into at your local supermarket. I can guarantee you that singer is not Conan Gray. The artist you will read about today has it all; a knack for writing solid pop songs, a magnetic personality, and an attention-grabbing stage presence and personal style.   

I discovered this  singer-songwriter's music through my amazing friend Ariane (yes, we have the same name and it's awesome). I have to confess I am horrible at giving a chance to anything any of my friends recommend to me whether it's music, movie, or tv shows. Consequently, I listened to one or two tracks from Conan and kind of forgot about him. However, I was reminded of his (musical) existence as a track entitled "Fake"; a collaborative effort between him and one of my favorite solo artists of all time, Lauv appeared on my recommended section on YouTube. I ended up genuinely enjoying that particular song and figured I should give Conan Gray's music a real chance. His track "Maniac" was the first one to truly catch my ear. I have three words to describe it: Infectious. Pop. Perfection. "Maniac" feels simultaneously modern and nostalgic. Its lyrical content could perfectly either be a reference to a crazy teenage movie or your own love life and that is one of the characteristics I love about Conan's songs. "Crush Culture", another one of his stand-out tracks, is as relatable as it gets (at least to me); it is both hilarious and tragic so...hilariously tragic....tragically hilarious...who the fuck knows? Conan has something in common with other songwriters I dearly admire; not only is he able to write unforgettable choruses, but he is also capable of making listeners feel like they are a part of some kind of movie or tv show. In other terms, listening to Conan's music can either make you reflect on your very own life experiences or enable you to escape your perhaps meaningless, boring or sad reality. 

When the past and the present collide and the result is an absolutely killer Pop track           

Furthermore, I and surely many of his fans appreciate that his lyrics are gender neutral which makes the listening experience inclusive. Are those lyrics about a boy? Is this song about a girl? Who truly knows? Let's not make any assumptions and honestly, who the fuck cares, right? Yes, I'll say it; Love is love. Just like Conan sings: "Don't give a fuck about labels". I also deem it important to mention Conan's fashion sense; he does not shy away from wearing whatever he feels like wearing. His music video for his newest single "Overdrive" perfectly showcases that distinct personal style of his. Yes, I know exactly what some of you may be thinking: "Harry Styles has done it before!!!" Many other male artists have worn dresses and skirts before!!!" You are right!!! However, there should not be any limits to this ever- growing evolution; let's keep encouraging both men and women to wear whatever makes them feel empowered. 

Completely in love with his outfits in this music video

Let's take a moment to talk about his live performances and how incredible they seem to be. The only reason why I use the word "seems" because I have not had the opportunity to see Conan in concert yet. However, I have watched a fair number of live performance videos. Based on what I have seen and heard, I feel like Conan is able to make his shows feel intimate but also larger than life. In other words, I am under the impression that attending a Conan Gray concert feels like you are the only one in the room but also feels you are at this massive crying and dancing party. 

Stunning performance of another one of my favorite songs

I am fully aware that not every artist actually showcases their true selves during interviews or even live performances. However, I have this strong feeling Conan is a genuine guy. He seems like the type of person with whom I would want to write and talk with about people we liked who never liked us back until 3 am (Conan fans, you know what I mean). Moreover, despite his constantly increasing popularity, Conan seems to be determinate to remain humble through it all. Let's face it, considering the level of success he has already achieved, it would be easy for him to turn into a giant arrogant asshole but, he has not. 

Most likely my favorite interview Conan has ever done

As usual, I want to thank you for taking the time to read my work. I know blogs are not as cool as Tik Tok or YouTube videos; thus, once more, thank you so much. I hope this article has made you want to learn even more about Conan both as singer-songwriter and as a human being just trying to figure shit out like the rest of us.  


Your former emo kid/current emo adult/music lover forever,

Ariane 

PS: shoutout to Finn Mckenty (@The Punk Rock MBA on YouTube) for inspiring me for the intro of this article with his video "Why we love HAYLEY WILLIAMS, COREY TAYLOR & BLINK-182" 

      


 
       


 

  


Comments

  1. Oh shit... i can't belive a hour as past by! I've watch the entire interview an really felt like i was listenning to a friend. Maniac is so catchy yet so depressing... i love love LOVE IT. I can't wait to go see what other crumbs he sings about. Thanks for the discovery even though it took me more than 2 weeks to get into. Love you, can't wait to read the next one.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts