ALBUM REVIEW: COMMON CYCLES DELIVERS A GENUINE EMOTIONAL ROLLERCOASTER

I can vividly recall the very first time I got the opportunity to see Common Cycles' mastermind Joseph Cassis perform. April 2019: I was at this small, old yet charming venue here in Montreal named Café Campus to support the incredibly overlooked, underrated Canadian Post-Hardcore/Punk Rock band Rarity. I can clearly remember seeing Joe walking around the venue and thinking: "a bearded guy wearing a dress at a Rock show, that's so cool!" I was not entirely sure if he was a fan or a band member but I instantly fell in love with his style. Little did I know...Joseph was (and still is) the frontman of the heaviest band on the bill that night. WHAT. A. PLEASANT. SURPRISE. FUCK. STEREOTYPES. 

I will be completely honest and admit that listening to this live record was my first real introduction to this particular musical endeavor. However, I was convinced Common Cycles' sound had to be drastically different from NoRescue's hard-hitting instrumentals. Sonically, Joseph Cassis' two projects are like night and day. On the other hand, the same honesty can be found in every single lyric written by Joe. This new release entitled "Out of my Tree, and Around the Sun" is a collection of the work Joe has crafted over the past 12 years of his existence. The album contains previously recorded songs as well as new tunes. The experience of listening to this record can be compared to reading someone's diary. This record feels like an open invitation to visit Joseph's mind and heart.   

 

The artwork of this magnificent and personal record 

Throughout the exploration of this musical body of work, I found myself smiling on more than one occasion while simultaneously experiencing a certain feeling of sadness. For instance, as I was listening to tracks such as "Chillin" and Your Eyes, for the Rest of Time, a genuine smile spread across my face. Without undermining or disregarding the true spirit of "Your Eyes, for the Rest of Time", I cannot help but imagine how possibly even more amazing it would sound written and performed as a full band. This specific track made me reminiscence on memories of the many shows I have had the chance to attend throughout the years; it made me want to put my cellphone way up high and turn on its flashlight. Goddamn, I miss concerts so much. "Sinkin' Again" is the type of song I would want to hear in a crowded room of people singing their hearts and lungs out to every single word. It would not matter how minuscule or gigantic that room would be. "Sinkin' Again" feels like an acoustic emo classic. 

Joe performing the record in its entirety during a livestream on April 2nd, 2021

On the other hand, a track such as "Ruiner" certainly made my heart heavy. It is impossible to remain indifferent when Joseph sings the following: "Can I save myself or did I wait too long?" "Bummer" is another tune whose lyrics have managed to pull the strings of my heart. Joe sorely sings: "I have been a fuck up for so long"; simple yet poignant words. This body of work contains its fair share of memorable lyrical moments. As someone who (strangely) enjoys crying at movie theaters and concerts with friends or even by myself, I can surely appreciate sad tunes. I am certain that many of you have experienced this before; listening to a song and realizing that the very first line of it naturally becomes engraved on your mind.  "We Went Well Together" is the perfect example of how to start a tune on an unforgettable note. Joe's kicks off this track by delivering the following line: "I wanna be naked with you in every way." Once more, Joseph Cassis' simplicity is not only compelling but incredibly delightful.  I cannot write this review without mentioning "Forehead Kisses"; this track has to be one of the best love songs I have heard in forever. This song truly makes me want to hopefully find my own "beautiful loser" someday. Please listen to this particular track; you will understand exactly what I mean. The backstory of this song is possibly even more adorable than the song itself. Joe wrote this tune for two of his friends who were engaged for several years before getting married. Wait, the story does not end there. Joseph got to perform "Forehead Kisses" at his friends' wedding as they were having their first dance.       

All in all, "Out of my Tree, and Around the Sun" is the kind of record that reminds us that the simplest things are often the most beautiful.  Sometimes, all we need is an honest soul and an acoustic guitar. 

Thank you so much for taking the time to read my very first album review ever. I hope this review has made you curious about discovering Joseph's music. 


Your former emo kid/current emo adult/music lover forever,

Ariane


Links to support Common Cycles

Common's Cycles' BandCamp

Common Cycles' Spotify




      


      

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts