LISTS: EIGHT OF MY FAVOURITE SONGS FROM MOVIE SOUNDTRACKS

LISTS: Every entry consists of a list of eight to ten songs, music videos, albums, artists or bands with a common theme. The order in which the songs, music videos, albums, artists or bands are presented is completely unplanned. In other words, this is not any sort of countdown. THANK YOU FOR BEING HERE!

In this entry, I present to you some of my favourite songs that were specifically written (or re-recorded/covered) for movie soundtracks. For instance, a song dear to my heart such as "Leave Out All the Rest" by Linkin Park will not appear on this list despite being featured on the Twilight soundtrack as it was part of "Minutes to Midnight" (LP's third full length released in 2007).  



Love Lies by Khalid and Normani (Love, Simon Original Motion Picture Soundtrack, 2018) 

 

It is slightly sad and even frustrating that this track was played during a seemingly meaningless scene of the movie (at least in my opinion); it nonetheless remains an important track for a few reasons.  I admire how intimate the song feels; it appropriately matches the essence of the film as we witness Simon experience pivotal moments of his young existence while his friends are completely unaware of what is truly going on. I also appreciate how this track and music video finally allowed Normani to show the world how amazingly talented she is. Every time I would listen to this tune or watch its music video, I would eagerly wait for that second verse. The release of this collaboration was thrilling as it showed average music listeners that Normani is much more than just "the black girl from Fifth Harmony".  

Finally, a song and video which do Normani justice



A Thousand Years by Christina Perri (The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn-Part 1, Original Motion Picture Soundtrack, 2011)
 
As an unashamed fan of the movies, I love how the track could be heard during the most touching moments of the concluding chapter of Bella and Edward's whirlwind of a story. You know when people ask you about the song you would like to have your first dance to at your wedding, "A Thousand Years" is the chosen one for me. It may not be the most original choice but it is mine. If you have read any of my previously published articles (especially the one in which I wrote about my favourite lead singers) then you know how truly important vocal delivery is to me. Christina Perri's vocal performance has me paying close attention to every single word she exquisitely sings. This track brings the hopeless romantic in me an endless amount of joy.

This song never leaves me indifferent.



Atlas by Coldplay (The Hunger Games: Catching Fire-Original Motion Picture Soundtrack, 2013) 

What a way to help moviegoers calm down after hearing the devastating news regarding the destruction of District 12!!! The very first notes of the song have a way of making us grasp the gravity of the situation for our relentlessly courageous protagonist Katniss. Sonically and lyrically, the chorus has enabled me to leave the movie theater with a feeling of hope. This song holds a special place in my heart as it brings back fond memories of a time when young adult novel series were turned into successful, suspenseful movie sagas I would care way too much about as a teenager myself. Emotionally invested, I surely was! In other words, this track by British musical legends Coldplay perfectly encapsulates the conflicting feelings of hope and despair. However, there is no need for you to be remotely interested in The Hunger Games saga to give this tune a listen if you have never heard it before. "Atlas" is the type of song you want to listen to with headphones on lying in your bed with your eyes closed being transported into another dimension. Have a breathtaking but hopefully safe enough adventure!!!!!

 

This song is amazing and Catching Fire is best Hunger Games movie.
 
 
 
Decode by Paramore (Twilight: Original Motion Picture Soundtrack, 2008)

I do not only love this song on a musical level; I appreciate the fact  that its existence provided my favourite band with opportunities and well-deserved exposure. Its lyrical content is the equivalent of an open window into protagonist Bella Swan's conflicted mind. However, knowing or even caring about the famous and highly criticized love story is not a requirement to recognize the quality of this song. The true beauty of these lyrics is that they do perfectly capture the essence of this first installment of the Twilight saga but they can also be relatable to any of us. The unforgettable last line before the second chorus is comparable to the feeling we experience when a character says something and mentions the title of the movie. It feels like an exciting revelation even though at times, the way titles of certain movies are incorporated into the dialogue can feel quite corny and even forced. The release of "Decode" propelled Paramore's career to new greater heights. I think it is safe to affirm that "Decode" will remain one of Paramore's most well-written, beloved, and recognized tracks ever. A lot of moviegoers and music listeners discovered Paramore because of Twilight; I discovered Twilight because of Paramore. 

 

Who does not know/remember this song?
 
 
 
Painting Flowers by All Time Low (Almost Alice: Music Inspired by the Motion Picture, 2010)
  

Just like with the involvement of Paramore with the Twilight soundtrack, I was delighted to see one of the bands I love the most having a chance to play their part in such a significant project. I adore how vocalist and lyricist Alex Gaskarth painted (see what I did there) a vivid and mesmerizing picture for fans to visualize every time they listen to this track. The song is written in a way that you will feel something upon first listen whether you have any emotional attachment to the movie and its characters or not. This song feels somewhat grand and theatrical yet personal. 

 

Idk..I  just love it.

 

 

How long will I love you-Ellie Goulding (About Time: Original Motion Picture Soundtrack, 2013)

I am guilty of never taking the time to watch the movie for which Ellie covered that song. "How Long Will I Love you" is the perfect track to enjoy Ellie Goulding's instantly recognizable angelic vocals. I recall that listening to this track and watching its music video with my grandfather was a source of pure bliss. I cannot analyze how valuable the song is concerning the story portrayed in the movie. However, this tune will forever hold a special place in my heart; seeing my grandfather smiling with amazement because of Ellie's immense talent is something I will never forget. 

 

I will forever love this song and Ellie Goulding.




All the Stars-Kendrick Lamar, Sza (Black Panther:The Album, 2018)

What can I say? This song is Wakanda. Right from the moment that beat accompanied by that distintive sound kicks in, you get the feeling that the song will be nothing less than epic. This tune sounds and feels gigantic and magical just like the world of Wakanda. "All the Stars" has the power to make listeners dream, escape, and have the sentiment that they are ready to win any battle that may arise in their life. The splendid chorus characterized by Sza's warm, exceptional vocals alone is more than enough to make fans of the movie and regular music consumers come back to the song years and years from now.  


Powerful. Beautiful.

 
 
 
New Divide by Linkin Park (Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen-The Album, 2009)

As a person who became a fan of the band during the "Minutes to Minutes" album cycle;  their continual progression towards a sound extremely far from their Nu Metal days did not confuse nor disappoint me. The chorus of "New Divide"  sounds gigantic and epic and instantly engraves itself on your mind. "New Divide" is characterized by an instrumental that impeccably matches that atmosphere that exudes from a movie like Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen; it has its quieter moments but also its loud and thrilling moments. For instance, I have always loved that transition between the second chorus and the bridge; you can close your eyes and picture any action scenes from the movie, it works wonderfully. RIP Chester. <3  

 That bridge...
 
 
 
 
I hope this article has enabled you to feel something, anything. I also wish that this entry has provided with you with the opportunity to discover art you were not previously familiar with. Thank you for your attention, time, and patience. What are some of YOUR favourite movie soundtrack songs? Much love, 

Your music lover forever/movie lover forever/hopeless romantic...hopefully not forever
  
Ariane





Comments

  1. Je reconnais Paramore, Linkin Park et je me souviens que tu étais allée voir le film Almost Alice. Comme toujours, ce texte est superbement écrit au niveau du style et de la documentation. Bravo!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts