LISTS: DREAM COLLABS FEAT. MY FRIEND MIRACLE

Let me share with you the wholesome story of how this article came about. Miracle and I have been (online) friends for a few years now. Our mutual undying love for music was what brought us together. Miracle is not only an amazing friend but also one whom I consider being my number-one supporter when it comes to my blog. She consistently takes the time to read my articles (and even shares them on social media) and provides me with positive comments. Some time ago, as she was reading my article about my favourite music videos, Miracle told herself: I want to be friends with her. Fast forward to 2023, we are closer than we ever were, and are now collaborators. While having a difficult time completing an important piece for my blog (it is still unfinished), I remember having a discussion with Miracle about the idea of working together on my blog.  The idea in question was to write about collaborations we would love to see come to life. This article is our first collaborative effort but surely not our last. Here is the result of two genuinely passionate music enthusiasts joining forces to create an epic reading experience.


Alessia Cara & Conan Gray: Just a Like a Warm Embrace  

In a world full of fakes, I firmly believe Alessia and Conan are two of the most genuine individuals in the industry. No, I do not know either of them on a personal level, but their lyrics and the way they carry themselves convince me of their authenticity. Cara and Gray also happen to be two of my favourite singer-songwriters of all time. Alessia Cara and Conan Gray have mastered the art of crafting tunes that feel intimate and personal yet heart-warming and relatable to the masses. Both artists have managed to bring me to tears, so I can only imagine what would happen to my little emo heart if those two came together to compose a heartfelt acoustic guitar-driven song or an epic piano ballad. A song in the same vein as Best Days or The Story would break me but ultimately make me genuinely happy.  (Ariane


Alessia Cara-Best Days from her 2021 album In The Meantime

Conan Gray-The Story from his 2020 album Kid Krow

Meet Me at the Altar & The Linda Lindas: The Future of Rock is female!

Young, hard-working, passionate, full of energy, and undoubtedly ready to take on the world: those two bands have wasted no time demonstrating their immense talent. Despite the fact that no member of either musical act is over the age of 22, MMATA and LL have beautifully encapsulated and shared universal feelings. For instance, with their touching track TMI, Meet Me at the Altar tackles an important issue that affects people from all age groups: the fear of telling loved ones how we have in fact been feeling emotionally distressed. With their song high energy Oh!, The Linda Lindas have shown us what it's like to be afraid to speak up, try to help, or do something by ourselves at the risk of fucking things up and having no one to count on. I have been fortunate enough to attend a lot of concerts (will forever be grateful to have the time and money) and had the opportunity to see The Linda Lindas perform in September of last year. That night, the crowd was especially diverse: I noticed the presence of 7-year-old girls as well as 40-year-old men. I have yet been able to see Meet Me at the Altar in concert; however, I am able to provide you with a pertinent example to illustrate how much of an impact this band truly has. My 62 year-old mom sings along to Say it to My Face every time she hears it. This collaboration would make my little feminist heart incredibly happy as it would showcase two small groups of amazing young women supporting each other and coming together to create art that will not only matter to female youth but to countless music lovers across the globe. (Ariane)

Now...make song together please

Meet Me @ The Altar-T.M.I from their debut album Past // Present // Future released last month

The Linda Lindas-Oh! from their 2022 album Growing Up

Dave Grohl & Billie Eilish: Two Generational Heroes In Alternative Music

When I think of dream collaborations I would love to see come to life, this one has been at the top of my list for quite some time. In 2019, when Billie Eilish released her debut album WHEN WE ALL FALL ASLEEP, WHERE DO WE GO? Dave Grohl mentioned Billie in an interview and praised her songwriting and her connection with her fanbase. The kind rocker also shared the sweet story of how his daughter Violet introduced Billie's music to him and how they did a daughter father performance of the song "idontwannabeyouanymore" at a charity event in 2018. Learning about his appreciation for Billie made me an even bigger fan. Hearing about Billie's fandom for Foo Fighters throughout the past few years has made me hopeful that a future collaboration is possible. Billie even wore a Taylor Hawkins shirt to pay tribute to the band’s drummer during her performance of “Happier Than Ever” at the Grammys last year. Billie DID invite Dave onstage to cover "My Hero" at a show last year. I'm talking about a studio collaboration. Dave could play drums on a track for Billie's next album or Billie could lay down vocals on a song for Foo Fighters' next project. It will happen one of these days! (Miracle)

Billie covering “My Hero” with Dave



Billie Eilish’s performance of Happier Than Ever at the 2022 Grammys

Tegan & Sara & Aly & AJ: A Potential Sisterhood Supergroup?

Among all the artists I dearly love,  I have noticed an interesting trend; some of my all-time favourite artists are sibling duos. The best examples of this are Tegan & Sara and Aly & AJ. Tegan and Sara are twins, while Aly & AJ are sisters. They are two of the most recognizable duos of the 21st century and should definitely collaborate! While Tegan and Sara have openly been a part of the LGBTQ+ community for years, Aly & AJ have proven time and time again to be fearless allies. Both duos provide a sanctuary for fans at their shows. Aly & AJ are fans of Tegan & Sara, having previously covered “Closer” in concert during their last tour so a collaboration is definitely possible! I have two ideas for a potential Tegan & Sara & Aly & AJ collaboration. Their collaboration could be a new original song on which Tegan, Sara, Alym, and AJ would sing different parts. However, they could also sing certain parts together. It could be a one-off single for a charity such as The Trevor Project, a nonprofit organization both duos support. Another idea could be a reimagined version of an older song. Aly & AJ have released a couple of re-recorded versions of older songs like "Potential  Breakup Song" and "Like Whoa". Their song "Rush" has become a queer anthem with the lyric "Be every color that you are". To continue the trend of re-recording songs from their Disney channel days, they could make a new version of "Rush" with Tegan & Sara. The sisters could sing the first verse and chorus, Tegan & Sara sing the second verse and chorus and then all four of them could sing the final chorus together. I could totally imagine Tegan or Sara singing the "Can you feel it? Can you feel it?" vocal hook in the pre-chorus. The four of them singing together for a song would be the ultimate sibling supergroup. (Miracle)


Tegan And Sara-Closer from their 2013 album Heartthrob


Aly & AJ-Rush from their 2005 album Into The Rush


Paramore and Softcult: Born for This Collaboration

I have always told people how Paramore was, has been, and will be my favourite band. However, it is no secret that Mercedes and Phoenix (with both Courage My Love and Softcult) have always had an extremely special place in my heart; both on a musical and personal level. What if I do not love one more than the other? What if I love them both equally but differently?  Both bands have provided me with some of the most joyful moments of my existence and have helped me grow into the person I am today. When thinking back on some of the best evenings of my life, attending my first concert ever (Paramore) always comes up. I even dedicated a whole article to this memorable night on my blog. I have written about Mercedes and Phoenix numerous times here. The twins even helped me write one of the most important articles I have ever published by sharing with me some of the discriminatory experiences they have gone through. The last time I got to see Cedes and Pheen perform, Mercedes explicitly told me that I was good and needed to keep on writing. I could go on and on about those two but this article would never end. (Instead, you can take a look at my article on my favourite encounters with musicians or my review of Year of the Rat to fully understand my undying gratitude and appreciation for the Canadian duo and their amazing music.) The memories I have made through Paramore and Softcult’s music and concerts will forever be engraved in my mind. (Ariane)


Both Paramore and Softcult have equally made such a crucial impact on my life. It's hard to pick one of them as my favourite and it's constantly changing every day. They both make incredible music that speaks to me more than any other artist. Both artists with a message, Paramore and Softcult are positive and inspiring role models to all audiences. Any time I listen to Paramore, I think of a high school me who was trying to figure out who she was and how their music got me through those times, and how it led me to where I am now. Their song Miracle is the inspiration behind my chosen name. And for the music that Mercedes and Phoenix have released as Softcult and their previous band Courage My Love, I think of myself a little over half a decade ago figuring out her identity and also being lifted by their music. And now I feel like I'm part of a revolution with them by my side. Because of Mercedes and Phoenix's previous band Courage My Love, I chose Lovely as my new last name. Hayley, Mercedes, and Phoenix are to me what artists like Kurt Cobain, The Beatles, or Taylor Swift are to someone else. (Miracle)


At their core, Paramore and Softcult are Rock bands. However, when listening to various songs from each act, it is easy to hear how contrasting their respective sounds can get. Those obvious sonic differences do not prevent Miracle and me from believing that a collaboration between Paramore and Softcult would make all the sense in the world. On a lyrical level, a collaborative effort between Paramore and Softcult would most likely leave listeners in a reflective state of mind. Many already existing tracks by both bands have made Miracle, me, and countless fans across the globe aware of important issues our society faces and keeps facing every day. In other words, a Paramore-Softcult collaboration could result in an emotional-social-political masterpiece. 


This collaboration is possible. Mercedes and Phoenix have previously mentioned being inspired by Hayley early in their career. Last year during Hayley’s Everything Is Emo podcast she did for BBC Radio, she gave Softcult a shoutout and said she loves them. Hayley knows their music and is a fan! What would it take to get them in the same room? I could see Hayley including Mercedes and Phoenix on a track if she does another solo album much like how she had boygenius on “Roses/Lotus/Violet/Iris" from her 2020 album Petals For Armor. I could also see Softcult getting to work with Hayley on a song for a future album as well. Any way it happens, hearing Mercedes, Phoenix, and Hayley on the same song would be one of the greatest collaborations in music ever and a dream come true for us.


Paramore-The News from their new album This Is Why released in February

Softcult-Dress from their new EP See You In The Dark released last month



To hear Hayley's shoutout to Softcult

Insert usual cheesy outro thanking YOU for taking the time to read this latest article. Wait, the process for this article was everything but typical for me; I got the chance to work with a kind, patient, and passionate friend. WE hope this article has made you discover new music, learn something or simply plastered a smile on that beautiful face of yours. Perhaps, this article has made you or will make you reflect on what bands and artists you would like to come together for a song. 


Possibly one of the best duos ever,

Ariane and Miracle (thank you for inspiring me)




Comments

Popular Posts