MORE PRIDE ANTHEMS WITH FRIENDS

This time last year, some of my friends (who also happen to be some of the most talented writers I know) and I collaboratively worked on what I consider to be one of the important articles published on my blog. A year later, we decided to join forces again to provide you all with another collection of songs that we think could make a lot of you feel proud and understood. As always, whether you are convinced of your identity and/or sexual orientation, experiencing a proper full-on gay crisis (Heartstopper reference), or a loyal ally, we appreciate you being here and taking the time to read our work. 


WE'RE BACK BAAAAABYYYYYYY!!!!!! (I had to)


STILL YOUR GIRL BY DESTINY ROGERS 

As wild as it sounds to some people, a person is not and should not be defined by who they love. Being attracted to the same gender as you does not make you any less of a good human being. However, even to this day, it can be tough not to drown in a sea of negativity for so many members of the LGBTQ+ when their family members, friends, or society drills into their brains that being queer is inherently bad. When I was a teenager, I have to admit I was afraid to come out.  What if my friends think there is something wrong with me? What if my parents see my sexual orientation as a deception? What if being more open and honest with the people I love leads to losing a part of myself? My brain had been rotten by society's blatant homophobia. I was somehow tricked into believing my loved ones could stop loving me because of who I love. Thankfully, not a single friend or family member has ever turned their back on me because I love girls. I will forever be grateful. So yes, everything turned out more than fine. However, I wish this song existed back when I was 16 years old. 

I am fully aware not everyone is as fortunate as I am. I hope this track helps younger and older members of the LGBTQ+ community remember that they're good human beings worthy of love and acceptance. This love and acceptance might never come from your biological family; however, it will come from a chosen family. 

Owner of this blog (if you know, you know), she/her, lesbian


MICHELLE BY SIR CHLOE

Have you ever heard a song so hauntingly beautiful that you can't help but keep listening, even though you can feel the aching and longing in the singer's voice? This song can be interpreted in different ways, but I would say that it represents feelings that are unfortunately not very unfamiliar to many people in the LGBTQ+ community: denial and shame. To me, it's telling the story of a woman who is attracted to Michelle but does not want to be. She blames Michelle for the feelings that she is experiencing towards her, namely when she says, "You know just how to be cruel / When you shake your hips that way." In other words, it's Michelle's fault for seducing her. How cruel of her, right! 

Moreover, there's one lyric in particular that really touched me when I first heard it, which turned out to be the chorus: "Michelle, Michelle / You are a monster from hell." Characterizing Michelle as a downright monster seemed quite intense to me, but I think that it's on purpose. The exaggeration really helps you understand how it feels to be in a position where you aren't able to accept the feelings inside of you, to the point that you'd rather vilify the other person. It also made me think of homophobia spread by religious folks who believe that being LGBTQ+ is a sin worthy of being sent to hell. Maybe the woman in the story has internalized these sentiments that were told to her and is now projecting them onto Michelle in order to feel better. 

Whatever you believe this song means, it's undeniably amazing and you should absolutely check it out. That being said, I chose a song by Sir Chloe that is quite popular, but they have so many more incredible ones, including "Too Close," "Animal" and "Salivate." Happy listening!

Cinti, she/her




SILK CHIFFON (FT. PHOEBE BRIDGERS) BY MUNA

If you read last year's article, you might remember I wrote about MUNA in that one as well. I was stuck between writing about this song or the one I picked for last year, I Know A Place. This year I am finally writing about Silk Chiffon, another one of my favourite MUNA songs and it is the perfect pride rom-com song. When this song was released as the lead single from the band's third album a few years ago, I was obsessed with this song and the music video, which pays tribute to the movie But I'm A Cheerleader. Like so many other songs by MUNA, Silk Chiffon is perfect for an article like this because it is a summer queer romance anthem. Katie Gavin sings in the pre-chorus, "Life's so fun, life's so fun" which celebrates queer joy and is an absolute ear worm. The song is basically this decade's "Kiss Me" by Sixpence None The Richer and is essential for any pride playlist. And Phoebe Bridger's guest feature in the second verse is fun too, especially if you relate to seeing a pretty girl at CVS and getting butterflies. As I mentioned last year, I got to see MUNA a couple years ago and they closed with this song and your girl may have gotten teary eyed like other times during the show that night. And MUNA's fantastic opening artist on that tour Jensen McRae sang Phoebe's verse. Since I have written about MUNA two years in a row, it shows how much I love them. Please check out their albums after listening to this song and MUNA are also an incredible band to see live. 


Miracle, Polysexual/Asexual, Trans girl, she/her   




FML BY TOWA BIRD

Towa Bird’s song "FML" regroups themes of celebration of identify, love and being able to fully express and feel all the feelings that were repressed in the past. The song is an empowering anthem that resonates deeply with me and I think it does with a lot of people in the LGBTQIA2+. 

In this song, Towa is talking about her feelings in such a raw and unapologetic way that is so refreshing. The song also explores the difficulty of long-distance relationships that many in the community experience, addressing how complex and hard these types of relationships can be! Towa’s music is so important in this society because it represents a voice that refuses to be silenced or marginalized. 

The track serves as both a personal declaration and a universal call to embrace one's true self, regardless of external judgment or prejudice. It also contributes to the visibility and representation of lesbian artists in the music industry, offering a platform for voices that have been underrepresented for so many years. As a bonus, the song is super catchy and is going to make you want to dance all your problems away.

Alexandrine, she/her, lesbian 





FLOWERS BY MILEY CYRUS

“Flowers” by Miley Cyrus may not be a song many would think of for an article published during Pride month and yet for me, it was the first song I thought of this year. During a big part of my life, I would have described myself as a heterosexual ally. And yet…when child me imagined growing up and having children, there was never a man (or a woman for that matter) raising the child with her. Had I been raised by a single parent, that would have been more logical, as I would have simply imagined reproducing the family model that I knew, but no; I had both parents growing up. So why then was I always alone raising a child in my imagination. Why wasn’t there a dad?

In high school, I noticed I wasn’t as comfortable with the subject of sexuality as others. I remember being uncomfortable with the idea of dating a boy who was interested in me because if we dated, he would want to kiss me, and I didn’t want to kiss him. I wasn’t in love with him (though mind you the one time I was in love, I didn’t enjoy French kissing then either. I did it only out of love and expectation). But others dated and kissed without being fully in love yet. So why was I different? Back then, sexual orientation was, after all, defined only in three ways: heterosexual, homosexual and bisexual. There wasn’t any other word or nuances for people like me to help us understand why we didn’t quite fit in the mold society considered “The Norm”. Back then, I was just a prude. That’s what I internalised…that I was prudish. 

It took me the combination of a bad dating experience after…well…a decade of no dating really and a university psychology class that talked about asexuality for me to realise that I was on the aro-ace spectrum. During that decade of no dating, I wore the question of “do you have a boyfriend?” and the answer “no” almost as if it was a mark of shame. As if it meant something was wrong with me that I was single still because people in our society put pressure on you to be in a relationship. They don’t necessarily realise they do it, but trust me; THEY DO IT. “Are you seeing someone?” “Haven’t you got a boyfriend yet?” “Maybe it’s a girlfriend you’d need.” Trust me, I heard it all. It’s like people do no believe that one can be genuinely happy without a romantic relationship. And the thing is, back then, I wasn’t 100% happy…because other people made me feel like I should want to be in a relationship, like I needed a relationship, like I was missing out. And the perverse thing is that when many people that you know or not (because let’s be honest, the idea that we can’t be happy or that you are at least happier and more complete in a relationship is everywhere: books, movies, publicities, etc) tell you the same thing repeatedly, you end up believing it. And so, I tried dating out after that decade and the owner of this blog can attest to how much that did not work out and yet it was one of the best things that happened to me because you see, I didn’t have the chorus of “Flowers” back then. And so, life had to give me a lesson to make me understand that it was more than okay to be better on my own. 

That dating experience plus the class allowed me to realise that I was definitely on the asexual spectrum, and I have since then also realised that I am on the aromantic one as well. In a society where most TV shows, books and movies bombard you with love stories, I’ll admit that it sometimes gets incredibly frustrating. There are hundreds of movies celebrating finding love. Hundreds of songs about finding or losing love. But what about us who enjoy living on our own without all the romance? What do we have celebrating our way of life?

“Flowers” may be a post break-up song, but to me it celebrates my way of living because the chorus shouts to all that the narrator can be happy doing everything by herself. She doesn’t need anyone else to find her own happiness. She doesn’t need anyone else to love her because she loves herself. I work with children. They are naturally curious and so I’m asked every year if I have a significant other. This year, when I said no, the kid asked why. And as soon as he asked it, Flowers’ chorus started: 

I can buy myself flowers

Write my name in the sand

Talk to myself for hours

Say things you don’t understand

I can take myself dancing

I can hold my own hands

I can love me better than you can

Why? “Because I don’t want one,” I answered. ‘And I don’t need one either.’ I thought to myself. It’s the beauty of this Miley Cyrus song. To shout to the world when the chorus starts that you are just fine and happy on your own and you don’t need anyone else romantically to be happy. I CAN buy myself flowers, though personally I’d prefer chocolate. I don’t need a significant other. I have my friends. I have my family. I have my job and my hobbies. I’m happy. If you are happier in a couple, that is great for you. I hope you are in a happy, healthy one, dear readers. As for me, I’m happier holding my own hand!


Mel, she/her, aro-ace 




POTENTIAL BY LAUV 

Even before this song was available on streaming platforms, I knew I wanted to write about it for this year's pride article. A few months later, here I am, explaining to you what inspired this choice. I've liked Lauv for many years now, and I believe that each of his songs have something special. This one's about self discovery and  acceptance.
Last November, Lauv poured his heart out to his fans on social media, bringing up how he reflected on many parts of his life and himself in 2023. He talked about how far he had come and how much he still wanted to accomplish and discover about himself. "I’ve had to DECONSTRUCT MY IDEA of myself, my sexuality, my gender, my personality, and SEE WHO I REALLY AM underneath the SOCIAL PROGRAMMING." Since then, he has opened up even more about himself and what he has learned. 

This past March, he shared a snippet of his song "Potential" for the first time and said that he experienced many relationships and anxieties throughout his 20s that led him to leave every person he got involved with, always ending up with the feeling that something was wrong or that he couldn't be himself. This introspection steered him towards a significant discovery. "I finally got to the point where I was like, yo, I need to just admit to myself and stop running away from the fact that I’m into boys and it’s not that big of a deal." It was after talking about how this realization has made him happier, more comfortable with himself and less anxious that he revealed that "Potential" is the first song he's written about his attraction to men. "I've started to embrace a part of myself than I ran away from so for so long… I don’t know where it will go or what I really AM, but that doesn't really matter 'cause labels aren’t always necessary. I’m learning."Lauv's journey and the topic of this song are the reasons why I felt it was crucial to write about it. To me, it represents the fact that despite the time that passes and the challenges we go through, we can still accept ourselves and be happy. It's important to know how to listen to ourselves and to be able to find our own path to happiness, no matter how long it takes. What has frightened us all our lives can also be what makes them more beautiful in the end. 

Ariane T, she/her




I WANT TO BREAK FREE BY QUEEN

Hey QUEEN 😉 There can’t be a Pride music article without talking about the trailblazers both in queer music, but also rock n roll in general, Queen. More specifically I’ll be talking about the beloved classic, I Want to Break Free. At first glance, the song may seem like your typical breakup song, with lyrics such as : « I can't get used to living without, living without, living without you by my side ». The song speaks about breaking free from a draining relationship. However, back in 1984, when the song was released, the front-man Freddie Mercury was not yet completely open about his sexuality, even with his own bandmates. Some fans believe that Freddie was hinting that he’d like to be free, as in, be himself openly. The song today became most commonly used as an anthem for one’s own personal freedom, to ‘break free’ of one’s circumstances and show the real person that they are. Let’s also talk about the music video, which, back in the day, made huge controversy. The goal of the video was to show the male perspective of the women’s liberation movement. All the band members were dressed as women and the video implies a need to break away from the tedium of domestic work as housewives. It also shows a contrast with the male indulging in all kinds of sexual pleasures. Freddie’s sexuality was always stigma that he carried throughout his life, his music was a way to express himself somehow while still having to remain in the shadows. By using men in drag, the music video truly was a revolution, by bending concepts such as gender and sexuality. His music will keep living on and keep inspiring queer artists everywhere. It must not have been easy being in the public eye back in his day. But he must be dancing in his grave knowing that things are slowly changing and that queer artists are finally breaking free !

Serina, she/her




WHY AM I LIKE THIS? BY ORLA GARTLAND

This track can be heard in a scene where Nick realizes he might not be straight after all. You can see and feel his confusion and emotional distress. Although this song isn't originally about the LGBTQ+ experience, its use in the iconic and acclaimed Netflix show has given it a new meaning and appeal. Being any part of the LGBTQ+ community, I believe it's inevitable to ask ourselves countless questions and reconsider our entire existence. "Why am I like this?" "Why do I like girls?" "Why didn't I come out earlier or later?" "Why do I feel more comfortable girls' clothes when I physically look like a boy?" We do what we consider best at the moment to the best of our strength and comfort. The truth is we are just human beings figuring life out which in our case also includes understanding our sexuality andor gender identity.  Newsflash, even in 2024, being queer still isn't a choice. 

Depending on various factors, for many people being queer or wanting to be their true self is forbidden, literally illegal (a question of life or death). Therefore, we can perfectly understand why any queer kid, teenager, or adult questions their place in this world. The reflective and sad but uplifting nature of the song can be a source of warmth for so many members of the LGBTQ+ community all across the globe.   

Owner of this blog (if you know, you know), she/her, lesbian   

 


GOOD LUCK, BABE! BY CHAPPELL ROAN 

First of all, what drugs did Chappell put in this song to make it so CATCHY?! I swear, all I want to do when I hear it is get up and dance and scream and be in an 80s rollerblading rink. It came out fairly recently and I'm already hooked, so now it's your turn. I also chose it because in a delicious coincidence, it is quite literally the same message as "Michelle" but from the opposite perspective. Wait...maybe it's Michelle's response to the singer! (#theory)

In short, this song is the emblem of comphet, which the chorus lyrics sum up perfectly: "You can kiss a hundred boys in bars / Shoot another shot, try to stop the feeling / You can say it's just the way you are / Make a new excuse, another stupid reason / Good luck, babe!" In this case, the singer is calling out a woman she has been seeing for trying to suppress her sexuality in all kinds of ways, such as by going with men or convincing herself that her feelings aren't real. Well, in a world that still perpetuates hate crimes and "traditional" marriage, I don't even blame her. It hurts, it's horrible and it's cruel to have to repress who you are. In the end, the singer rightfully decides to bid farewell to her lover and wishes her good luck in (hopefully) finding herself one day. 

So, if you like heartbreaking lyrics hidden under groovy, upbeat melodies (TØP fans, rise!), then you'll love this summer anthem. Good luck, babe! 😉


Cinti, she/her




SHE'S PRETTY BY CAYLEY SPIVEY 

Cayley Spivey is one of my favourite LGBTQ+ singer/songwriters ever since I discovered their former project Small Talks back in 2018. Last year Cayley released their latest and greatest collection of songs yet, HER, a mini-LP of LGBTQ+ anthems celebrating falling in love. One of those songs, She's Pretty is my favourite from the release. Ever since Cayley teased it on their Instagram last year before it was released as a single, I was so excited and it already became my new favourite song by them. She's Pretty is about having feelings about a girl who is perfect and how to navigate those feelings while also not feeling good enough for her. In the music video, Cayley is slow dancing with their girlfriend Sam and they both look so cute together. She's Pretty is such a cute and cozy song and perfect to listen to at 3am in bed with headphones on.


Miracle, Polysexual/Asexual, Trans girl, She/Her





10x BETTER BY MARIELLE KRAFT 



To be honest, Marielle Kraft is a rediscovery for me. I remember hearing her music for the first time on Tiktok and following her right away. Unfortunately, as time went by and videos added up, I rarely ever revisited her account after that. However, one night this week when I couldn't fall asleep, I stumbled upon her account again and was instantly captivated once more. I didn't know whether I had heard that song or not before, but I knew one thing for sure: I wanted you to listen to it again and immediately. 


It's true that I didn't try to learn more about Marielle when I first discovered her, but what a mistake that was! When I heard her song "10x Better" for the first time, it left a permanent impact on me, so much so that I took the time to listen to the rest of her discography. Guess what? I wasn't disappointed one bit. Some of her other songs would have also been worthy of a mention here, as I think that they are such a great representation of wlw relationships, and that's one of the reasons why I hope that telling you about this song will make you want to see for yourself what she has to offer. 


"10x Better" is simply the story of a woman who thought she knew what she was looking for in a man to have the image of the perfect relationship. She had a preconceived notion of the person she wanted to be with, never realizing that it was possible to imagine life with someone outside of society's mould. We often grow up learning that a woman has to be with a man. With this song, Marielle shows us that love has no gender or limits, as she confirms that she has not only found her person, but even better, with just one detail. With a woman. 

Ariane T, She/Her 



CLEAREST BLUE BY CHVRCHES

At the risk of seeming unoriginal, my third selection is another song featured in a Heartstopper episode. "Clearest Blue" feels like a celebration of liberation. Girlfriends Tara and Darcy do something they usually never do; share a kiss in public. They kiss in a crowded room at a party while "Clearest Blue" is being blasted. Watching this scene feels euphoric. As all of us know being queer can be terrifying; it can make or break friendships, bonds with family members, or even a question of life or death. To me, the energy of the song translates into what it feels like to break free from all of the stereotypes, the negative thoughts, and the bigotry. I know a song cannot magically and instantly end world homophobia (I wish)but it can definitely at least spark some joy or be a mean of escapism.  Despite not being specifically about a LGBTQ+ situation, this track does feel like a 4-min queer party.

Owner of this blog (if you know, you know), she/her, lesbian




HOW THIS FEELS BY MAGGIE GENTLY


Maybe the newest song in this article is from one of my favourite singer/songwriters of this decade so far, Maggie Gently. She just released her incredible second album Wherever You Want To Go and is currently my favourite album of 2024 as of writing this. The album is full of great indie rock/power pop songs that would be perfect for a 90s/early 2000s rom-com and some really cute love songs. One of those songs is the opening track, "How This Feels". The song is about Maggie's wife Ramona who is trans and is like a musical little thank you note to all the little things she does for her. I love this song and it is one of my favourites off the album. In the chorus Maggie sings, "I take her in like a breath / Describe her with poetry I didn’t know I had in me / I never want to forget / How this feels". Again this song is so cute and those lyrics are a great example of this song possibly being the best love song of the year.


Miracle, Polysexual/Asexual, Trans girl, She/Her    




I remember concluding last year's pride piece by expressing how that article was most likely the coolest article I have ever had the chance to show the world. I am not sure what's more amazing; the fact that I published an important article I was genuinely proud of or the fact that I was able to do it all over again this year. Thank you to my friends who agreed to pour their heart, time, and effort into the second edition of this project. Thank you to my friends who couldn't participate this year but were great supporters. Thank you to all of my friends reading this. Thank you to all of the strangers reading this. Thank you to all of the allies reading this and taking the time to educate themselves in any way, shape, or form. Thank you to all of the younger and older LGBTQ+ members reading this. I wrote it last year; I will write it again this year; you are NOT alone. You are valid no matter what your situation is.  


Happy Pride! 

Much love.

Your favourite emo lesbian music blogger and interviewer,

Ariane P-G


More LGBTQ+ artists or bands with LGBTQ+ members in them (can be also found in the playlist):

Softcult                                              SOPHIE                                    Lauren Jauregui         

Meet Me at the Altar                      Claud                                        Nessa Barrett 

The Summer Set                             Maddie Ross                           Girl in Red

We Are the In Crowd                      Ethel Cain                               Kiana Ledé 

Like Pacific                                        Tancred                                   Beth McCarty

Pomme                                              Coeur de Pirate                     Lauren Sanderson       

Stand Atlantic                                  Shallow Pools                         G Flip

Reneé Rapp                                     Halflives                                    Victoria Monet  

Pale Waves                                       Pvris                                           Liza Anne

Kevin Atwater                                  Lights



*Please note both the list of artists to support and playlist have been updated since last year. 



Comments

Popular Posts