REVIEW: A LOVE LETTER TO BIRDS OF PRRREY'S FIRST EP

Let’s get something out of the way; I labeled this article as a review but really, it’s not. I am writing this article to explain why and how this EP matters and why it should matter to many people. I am here to elegantly (hopefully) share my undying love for this project and this band. If you are a friend or a family member, then you know how special this talented trio has become to me in the past ten months. Without getting into specifics, I discovered Birds of Prrrey when I really needed music to be one of my coping mechanisms. Despite loving my blog dearly and being passionate about music and writing, I barely shared my work with the world last year. I only published 3 articles in 12 months. I don’t think it was enough; I expected and wanted more. It just didn’t happen. This article is my sixth release of the year. What a difference! 


I was wondering what the hell happened; what brought back my spark? After some reflecting and discussing with friends, I concluded that the interview I conducted with Birds of Prrrey back in December was the answer! After being able to talk to Clarence (their amazing and kind lead singer and guitarist) in person for the first time, a random and wild thought came to me: what if I ask the band to interview them? Did I study journalism? Never! Did I have any experience interviewing bands or artists? Not at all. I decided to take a chance anyway. Yes, the interview happened. Yes, it went well. Was I nervous as fuck? Definitely! Was the experience one of my favourites ever? Also, yes! The band managed to make me feel as comfortable as possible. Clarence, Grace, and Noelle managed to provide insightful answers and make me laugh. They also expressed how well I did and how smart my questions were. From that moment, I knew I needed to keep writing and working on my blog and even conduct more interviews. Fun fact: my interview with Birds of Prrrey is the most-read article. Wow, this intro is long, isn’t it? I'm not sorry though. Okay, let’s start talking about “Yet, we’re still growing in place” , shall we?     


The artwork of this amazing first EP, designed by @aecolyte

I knew I would love those songs with all of my heart. I already had the chance to hear those tracks live numerous times. Therefore, I had enough time to learn some of the lyrics, recognize the first notes, and develop an emotional attachment to these songs. Despite being familiar with the music already, there was something special the second I pressed play to listen to the first track of the EP. It felt surreal to have studio versions of these songs. One of the best things about having recorded versions of these tracks was to hear the lyrics properly and read along. Let me tell you not only do Birds of Prrrey compose catchy and well crafted Punk leaning tunes, you can tell they carefully choose their words when writing lyrics. 


The first track “A Man Invented Shoelaces” is a prime example of their pertinent songwriting. I don't know if the purpose of picking  “Shoelaces” as the opener was to make a statement; however, it does feel like it. In a world where female and non-binary artists’ voices, talent, and value as creatives are still undermined, the existence of this song is essential. From what I gathered, in this song, the band expresses what it’s like for non-male-identifying people to constantly be negatively criticized whether it’s about looks, personalities, or abilities; a reality far too familiar to many women, transwomen, and non-binary people. With its hints of Grunge and ever-so-relevant lyrics, listening to this track feels like living in another decade while being reminded of matters that still affect our society today.


 “Look at me in my tiny skirt. Your dirty comments I deserve.” 


“OMGCROWSEVERYWHERE.COM2003”, what a crazy title, right? That song is the most “in your face” from this first release. Did you have a bad day at work because of your disrespectful boss?  Are you angry at anyone? Put “Crows” on, scream, and headbang your worries away. Will all your problems be solved? Realistically, no. Will you feel at least a bit better, even if it’s just for a short period? Most likely! Plus, when listening to this tune for the first time, you’ll get a little surprise in the middle of the song. Spoiler alert: it’s a scream, and it sounds badass. No, it’s not Clarence, their lead singer screaming. It’s Noelle, their drummer. How cool is that?   


“I burned off my eyelids just to see clearer.”



Do you know how in some bands, the lead singer is constantly in the spotlight; whenever it comes to photoshoots (or any band promo) or on a musical level? It is the equivalent of a one-person show although everything from the songs to the album artwork were crafted as a team. There is no such behavior in Birds of Prrrey. In this equally memorable and reminiscent sounding track of the 90s (and Grunge) entitled “Hatemail”, Grace, their bassist gets to shine vocally by singing the first verse. Sonically and lyrically, the band brilliantly manages to translate and illustrate the feeling of being unsure (despite blatant struggles such as a lack of love) if staying or leaving any relationship is the best option. Can marriage fix a broken relationship? Can alcohol be a solution to conflicts between partners? 


“Punish us with a wedding.”



The band performing at Traxide at the end of last June, pictures by me


I do not always make this comparison when describing what listening to a song feels like but when I do, I mean it. Hearing Noelle's Emo Song for the first time (or the 1000th time like me) feels like being on an emotional rollercoaster ride (without feeling sick to your stomach). Once again, Clarence, BoP's lead singer takes a step back to give another one of their bandmates an opportunity to vocally stand out. The first notes of the song sound heavenly and showcase a softer side of the band. The second Noelle (drummer) starts singing you realize how sad of a track this one is. This tune seems to be about getting hurt by someone you love yet still willing to do anything for that person. However, the instrumental does not remain soft. The explosive outro accompanied by the chant "PEACE. LOVE. HOMICIDE." makes for an expected and unforgettable finish. If you started enjoying the tune by waving your cellphone flashlight like during quieter moments at concerts, you will be screaming, headbanging, and moshing (well, maybe not if you are listening to the song by yourself) by the end of it. What a wild and cathartic 3-minute and 40-second experience!



"Baby, I'd do anything for you."



The band right before their performance at Fungeon Fest, last June, picture taken by me

Even before the release of this EP, "Training Wheels" was my favourite track from Birds of Prrrey. Hearing its studio version just further solidified my appreciation for this track. There is something magical about this tune. This track lifts my spirits every time I get to hear it whether it's in my earphones or whenever the band plays it. The outro sounds anthemic and joyful, and it's a moment I can picture a crowd (small or big) all singing along as one. It also feels like the type of song that could be heard at the end of a coming-of-age movie.


"And there is no space at the back of your minivan but you still find a way to give me your hand.



If you haven’t given the band who “makes loud music for big hearts” a chance, perhaps now is the time. I promise you won’t regret it. What’s the worst that can happen? Their sound might not be your cup of tea; however, after reading this, you are aware of how different sounding the songs are. Consequently, if you don’t like one of the tracks, it doesn’t mean you won’t like any of the other tracks. And if you end up disliking all of the songs, tell yourself you gave your time and attention to a talented, hardworking, and kind trio trying to leave a positive mark on the world.  


Your (hopefully) favourite blogger and interviewer,


Ariane


    


Useful links to listen, discover, and support Birds of Prrrey:


Birds of Prrrey's Instagram


Birds of Prrrey's Facebook


Birds of Prrrey's Soundcloud



Comments

  1. I didn't have the chance to listen to the album yet but I'm definitely going to on my way back home today 🥰

    PEACE! LOVE! HOMICIDE!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You will love it! Thank you for your comment!

      PEACE! LOVE! HOMICIDE!

      Delete
  2. I love your review and how you talked about each song. Anytime you get to talk about this amazing band on your blog and reading about how much they mean to you always makes me happy.

    PEACE! LOVE! HOMICIDE!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts