INTERVIEW: AVERY JANE: THE ART OF GETTING BETTER

It was a weirdly chilly Thursday night in June, my friend and I were seated at this super cool cafe called "Big Trouble" and excited to see one of Montreal's most talented songwriters and kindest souls: Big Daddy (I also interviewed her so go check it out if you haven't yet). The event was an open mic; thus, we had no clue what to expect from other performers that night. The second I heard host Avery Jane sing, I knew I needed to pay undivided attention and get to know her and her music. During this lovely chat, Avery Jane and I got to talk about her musical evolution, the advice she received from her dad, and so much more.

I recently attended one of your Big Thursdays open mic nights. The first one happened in April, right?

Yes. The first one happened with my mom actually. 

Does your mom sing too?

No, she's a poet. She had released her latest book of poetry and she had a mini launch at at Big Thursdays in Montreal.

What inspired you to start hosting the event?

I actually started it as an open mic because I had been hosting the open mic at Courcelle in St-Henri for about a year and a half before that. Then, we parted ways, I was no longer really interested in doing that. Then, I was working at Cafe Big Trouble and I decided to ask if I could use the space for anything at night. The owners were like: "Yes, please! How about an open mic?" I was like: Oh, yeah! True! That is something that I do." We started as an open mic but it wasn't necessarily my dream to have an open mic. I decided to switch up the vibe and have an open mic with a featured performer and then slowly but surely, it became more of just a space for one performer to be highlighted, to uplift them, give them a space to have an audience, and also to try to bring new people in to experience them in a very intimate, quiet personal setting.

Is the plan for this to be an all-year long thing?

I hope so! I might take little breaks depending on where I'm at but for now, yes. I think it will be nice in the winter. I think it will be very cozy.

Avery Jane performing at Cafe Big Trouble (Big Thursdays) where she also hosts, last June

When was the moment you realized you could sing? Do you remember that moment vividly?

I have always wanted to sing. Whether or not, it was phenomenal or not, I have always loved singing. On my first EP actually, I have a song at the very end called "The Backpack Song" and it's a recording of me when I was 3 years old singing a song I wrote by myself. I told my dad: "I wrote a song!" He was like: "Okay, just one second." He set up a microphone and he recorded it. I have that to show the very first song I ever wrote. It's not a great song but I was 3 years old so it's very cute. That kind of shows it's something I have always wanted to do. It's writing songs, singing them. Just as time went on, I tried just to get as good as I possibly could so that I could keep doing what I love doing. Over time, I have had vocal coaches. I was in bands. I self- taught a lot as well. It's less so a moment to realize I could do something, it was more me making sure it was something I could do because I love doing it so much.

With two EPs and a few singles out (including your latest one "Outside" which came out in late June), what song are you the most proud of and why? 

It's hard to say because I think I'm more proud of my most recent stuff. Everything I put out I'm the most proud of because I am just trying to get as good as I possibly can. I try to put out my best work at all times. Throughout my career, it changes. Right now, it's "Outside". I am infinitely more excited and proud of the next work that I have that's coming up.

From your very first release to "Outside", would you say you notice a big difference?  

I would say it's different. My first release "April", I was incredibly proud of that. I still really love it. I love everything I have put out. There is nothing that I regret putting out. It's all a huge part of me. It's like a snapshot of into where I was exactly in my life which is super cool actually; to have a record of where I was at creatively and emotionally just out there on the internet in chronological order. I would say I am very excited about where I am at with "Outside."  I wouldn't say I'm any less proud of any of my work. It's all about the same but if I was to showcase something that reflected where I want to go; "Outside" is the closest. 

If you had to pick one to show someone who has never your music before, would it be "Outside"?        

Yes but it depends on who it is. It's a tough question cause I feel like I would still judge the person on their style, their vibe and how they walked up to me. I cannot officially judge but I feel like I could see where they're at in their day: "Oh, you're sleepy. Let's listen to my first EP. It's just me and my vocals." 

You mentioned new music coming up, when can we expect a new single or perhaps a new EP?  

I'm hoping to release a new single in September. The official release date is not confirmed. Then, at the end of this year, at some point, I am releasing a mini project of two songs, kind of like a classic EP record (A and B side but no physical copies). I am going to hibernate for the winter. 

A snippet of a live performance from earlier this year

Will the future releases be in the same vein as "Outside"?  

The next song I am hoping to release is a little more sassy. The last 2 songs of the year are going to be quite different from I have released so far this year. It's going to be a mix of my first EP which is acoustic folk and it's gonna bring in some of that more produced cinematic energy of my more recent stuff. It's going to a nice amalgamation. 

On a musical level, what is your favourite memory you have created so far this year and why? 

That's so hard. I have done so much this year. That's really hard question. I feel like this year has flown by and I have done something musical every single day. It feels like the busiest year ever for me musically. Everything is so exciting. Maybe Toronto. I went to Toronto for North by Northeast and that was very fun. I did a lot of very cool musical things this year. I played my very first show with my band at Fringe. That was fun! I would say Toronto because it was my first trip that I ever took to do music. I left the city by myself with my guitar and I felt very much like I was in a movie. I just went to play music and meet people. That was very exciting. I played two shows, got into a little Toronto magazine and I felt very proud of myself. I have also made some amazing friends. I feel like that's an indicator of where I'm at this year and it makes me feel quite proud.

You mentionned performing with your band for the first time, how different is it to perform by yourself versus performing with a band?

It's quite different. I started in high school playing with bands. Once I moved to Montreal, it was just myself and my guitar for like 6 years. Going back to play with a band is so different. It's very exciting. It's difficult but it's fun. It's easier and harder at the same time.

Would you say more you are nervous when you perform by yourself or with a band?

I am more nervous with a band. I feel like because there are so many things that could go wrong. Also, on stage, I'm always looking for this energy and this experience. My experience on stage is completely managed by myself when it's just me. I find that with the band, I want them all to also have that magical experience of performing. I feel like as the band leader and singer (and the fact that we are playing my songs) it's on me for them to have that magical experience. I feel my heart is like: "Oh, I just want you all to have a good time." The music sounds better when you are having a wonderful time. I feel there is more pressure to extend that crowd energy, that magical show energy to more people on stage but I'm very lucky to have an incredibly talented and kind band. The first show went well. We have more coming up. We'll see.

You mentionned playing Toronto for the first time. I know you played many shows in Montreal. Where would like you like to play next?

My goal for 2024 was to play Pop Montreal and I just got accepted. Right now, I am just happy with where I'm at. This year, I'm like: "I did it! I did exactly my goal for this year." I would like to play in New York and in LA. Those are my next two goals. I want to go meet people, get to know the cities a little more. If someone was to book me for a show right now randomly and it could be anywhere I wanted, I would say New York.

Let's say you get a call tomorrow morning to go on tour across Canada, do you think you would do it?

It would depend how and what the situation was. If I was opening for somebody who is doing quite well, somebody who can actually bring crowds in Saskatchewan. I would definitely do it. I don't know anynone in Saskatchewan. I feel like the crowds would be a bit minimal. If I had an opportunity to travel with a musician who is established, awesome, and someone I would love to support, then 100%. I would also love to play in London...England! (laughs)

You have all kinds of experience when it comes to performing (musical theater, folk duos, indie jazz bands), what made you decide to perform as a solo artist and create original music? Was the idea always at the back of your mind? 

It's always been something I wanted to do. I have always been writing music. There are little YouTube videos (I kind of hid them)of me when I was 13 performing my original music. I have always wanted to be a solo artist at some point but I didn't have the drive or felt like I had the time or confidence to do that until the pandemic. I really got to sit down and look at myself and what I wanted in my life. I was like: "Okay, you want this so bad; just do it!" It was hard to say no when I thought of being 50 years old looking back and being like: "I didn't try and that's what I have always wanted to do. " I just wrote so many songs during the pandemic. I was like: " I have so much stuff here. I have to do something with this." I actually lucked out because when I went back to BC for 6 months, I met up with an old friend from an old band of mine. He had heard one of my songs I posted on Instagram and was like: "I love this song. I'll produce it if you want to spend some time with me in my garage. We'll make this song. We'll make it happen." Then I released my first song and I was like: "Oh okay..." It broke the ice.

You mentionned writing a lot of songs during the pandemic. Do you know how many you wrote?

Many, many; not a lot of them have stood the test of time but I have written a lot of music. I cannot stop. In the pandemic, I probably wrote 30 songs minimum. I could write two songs every month minimum. Some months, I wrote 5 or 6. I would say minimum 30. I released 3.

What kind of show do you prefer (indoor vs outdoor, crowd vs handful of people)? 

Crowd numbers matter less than crowd energy I would say. Venue wise: I love classic venues. I love a stage. I love those fancy lights. Something about it feels so cinematic and feels like what I envisioned when I was 12 seeing myself on stage. My dad is a musician so I grew up going to a lot of shows; shows of all his friends, his shows, all of my parents' friends. I always grew up seeing them on these stages and I was like; "I am going to do that!" When I get to be on a stage similar to how I felt when I wanted that so deeply, it resonates very well with me. Crowd numbers matter way less to me. Of course, a huge crowd (I haven't played to that big of crowds yet), a full room of actively engaged people and you can tell they're enjoying their night that's so special. If it's like 5 people and they're chatting with you, you get to chat with them back, we are having a good time, and I feel like I know them all by the end of the set.; that's just on a par with playing to a large crowd of people.

Do you have a dream venue where you would like to play here in Montreal?

Metropolis (Mtelus). I really think it's an awesome venue. Playing there would also mean I got to play the Corona Theatre (Beanfield Theatre). I think Metropolis is such a wonderful venue cause it's quite large but still gives you that intimate feeling. I saw Tyler, the Creator there for the very first time. It was the first show I ever saw there. I was like: "Oh my god, you are so close to me!" He also still had the space to have an elaborate set up. It was very cool. I feel like everyone felt like they were just at a party with each other.

What advice would you give to any local musician trying to get their music noticed? 

Hard to say. It depends on what you do. Locally (Montreal), there are very different scenes for different music. Find the crowd that your music sits comfortably in and conquer it. Just play. Play your music. Enjoy playing it. Play with other people. Play the smallest shows you can. Play the biggest shows you can. Just do it all. Meet everybody. Have a good time. Someone is going to notice if you are doing what you love. Work hard. If you want to do music, you got to send emails. Community is a valuable resource. Reach out to people. I tell everyone what I do and where I am trying to go. I say what I want and say: "Hey, if you feel like helping me..." More often than not, people have something they can offer and I try my very best to give them something that I help them with as well. Community. Practice. Emails.

Have you received any good advice from muscians, venue workers...?

Pretty much the same thing honestly. I am sort of regurgitating the advice I have been given over the years. My dad's advice was always: "Practice, practice, and practice. Make sure what you have to offer is the best you can do at any given points." He was always a huge motivator for me to be the best I can be. It was a bit tough when I was younger because I would be like: "Here is a song I wrote." He was like: "It's nice. I am glad you wrote this song. I am sure it could be better if you change..." "Just listen to my song!" Then, I would go back and workshop it and he was absolutely right. This wasn't the best I could do. He would be like: "Oh, I prefer this other one you did."

From local musicians: a lot of people taught me about community. "Here are all of these people you should know. They're all wonderful people. You should be friends." Instead of being friends for the sake of music, we are actually really good friends and they introduce me to people and so on. I have such a big musical family and we all help each other out. My advice is free flowing in Montreal. Everyone has something to offer.

What Canadian artist would you like to collaborate with and why?

Hard to say. There are so many. It's a hard question for me actually. There is so much talent in this country. I don't think I would say I am very picky. So many people I admire. If I were to collaborate (if someone wants to collaborate with me), there is a lot of people that I know who are close to me in Montreal with whom I am like: "We will collaborate. It's a dream but I think it's going to happen." I will wait for that to happen and then, speak about it. I am really not too picky. I just love making music with people who enjoy making music. There are so many names to pick. I cannot narrow it down.

Is there anything you would like to say to close the interview? Something to promote? Any kind of message?

I feel like I yapped a lot. I got my new single "Outside". I got my show in August at Turbo Haus, if anyone wants to come. It's beach themed. Just keep making music that you love.

As usual, thank you for taking the time to read my work. I hope you enjoyed getting to know Avery Jane with me. Please, take the time to check her music out. You never know what could happen. Your new favourite artist is only a click away. There will be more wholesome, insightful interviews coming out in the upcoming weeks. Please, stick around. Keep your beautiful eyes peeled.


Your favourite tiny interviewer (I have no clue why I added tiny. It seemed like cute a idea. Also, I am indeed tiny).

Ariane

Useful links to further discover and support Avery Jane

Avery Jane's Instagram

The Big Thursdays Instagram

Tickets to Avery Jane's Birthday show

Comments

Popular Posts